Five photographs from Arizona one-year-after the cross-continent summer trip of 2011. These photographs were originally processed with Apple’s Aperture application and have been heavily edited with Snapseed on the iPad for this post. Original live-blog posts from summer 2011 can be accessed here.
ARIZONA: Miles 4706 – 5194 (488 miles total in Arizona). It was great getting back to Arizona, a state that features remarkably fantastic regions. I was last there during winter break of 1996/1997. I’d looked forward to returning for a long, long time. And Arizona did not disappoint on this second trip. Gorgeous blue skies contrasted brilliantly with those deep red and yellow sands and stones. The Colorado carved an electric neon blue shard of lightening through the arid landscape. Meteor Crater stood as a testament of time and energy. The Painted Desert reminded me that erosion is perhaps the greatest artist the world has ever known. The black, volcanic sands of Sunset Crater provided an altogether different kind of ‘beach’ environment. Indeed, Arizona is quite amazing to me in its landscapes, ecologies, and environments.
Saturday 11 June 2011 (Day 12):
- Mile 4706: THE ARIZONA BORDER.
- Mile 4750: Kaibob National Forest, Arizona.
- Mile 4758: Tumbleweed in Arizona.
- Mile 4794: Vermillion Cliffs, Arizona (not Utah).
- Mile 4798: The Navajo Bridge and the Colorado River, Arizona.
- Mile 4929: Bonito and Sunset Crater in the Coconino National Forest, Arizona.
Sunday 12 June 2011 (Day 13):
- Mile 4929: Morning at Bonito & Sunset Crater in the Coconino National Forest, Arizona.
- Mile 4934: Sunset Crater National Monument, Arizona.
- Mile 4943: Strawberry Crater Wilderness in the Coconino National Forest, Arizona.
- Mile 4950: Wupatki National Monument, Arizona.
- Mile 4953: Desert Patch-Nosed Snake (Arizona).
- Mile 4960: Doney Mountain, Volcano (Arizona)!
- Mile 4995: Flagstaff, Arizona.
- Mile 5035: Meteor Crater, Arizona.
- Mile 5150: Petrified Forest National Park, Arizona.
- Mile 5150: Painted Desert National Park, Arizona.
- Mile 5194: THE NEW MEXICO BORDER.